[Wgco] NEED FOR A MEETING OF WGCO & UPDATES

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Tue Aug 30 22:20:29 EDT 2016


Thank you Segun for the summary report. This is very helpful in catching up.

I would also like to bring to your attention that IPv6 BPF will discuss our outreach strategy in Oct/Nov on output document.
If considering effective outreach on BPF outputs is within the scope of WGCO, I would certainly be interested to consult you on how we can coordinate, when IPv6 BPF get to that point.

As for the key points discussed,  I agree on suggestions 1-8 (No strong opinion for 5, seems like a good idea in general).


With some points to especially comment:

* Happy to help for Japan and APAC. I already do outreach to equivalent community for Japan (and to APrIGF to certain extend). Having structured, core message certainly helps.(For 2)

* Depending on the region/country, perhaps presenting in local language at meetings could be most effective in reaching the message. This is my experience from at least in Japan from what I do already, and hope this option can also be considered, in addition to translation (For 3)

* I support the idea of new comers/MAG members ribbons.


Izumi

On 2016/08/31 1:03, Olusegun H. Olugbile wrote:
> * *
>
> *Dear Member,*
>
> * *
>
> *Please find below the summary report on the outcome of WGCO
> meeting.*
>
> * *
>
> *SUMMARY OF REPORT OF THE VIUTAL MEETING OF WORKING GROUP ON
> COMMUNICATION & OUTREACH*
>
> * *
>
>
>
>
>
> The 1^st virtual meeting of WGCO was held on 29 August, 2016 at 15:00
> UTC. The meeting lasted an hour and was guided by the following
> agenda: /Kick starting the work of the co-facilitators of
> workstreams/*; */Considering an outreach evaluation approach
> submission made by Mariana for members' inpu/t*; */taking Clues from
> IGF retreat areas of concern on Comm & Outreach/*; *and**/Workstream
> assignments on Upcoming Events/IGF website Improvement/ developing
> Outreach messages for stakeholder communities/*; *as**well as other
> important issues relevant to the work of the WG.
>
>
>
> *Summary of the meeting outcome:*
>
> * *
>
> 1.     WG need to agree on the framework for achieving awareness and
> outreach, most especially those that will be targeted to Africa,
> Asian Pacific and other developing countries.
>
>
>
> 2.     The WG should consider working in close collaboration with
> National and Regional IGF Initiatives (NRI), with well defined,
> concise and easily understandable messages. It is essential that the
> WG leverage on the existing outreach efforts of NRIs across the IGF
> community.
>
>
>
> 3.     Translation of IGF communications or messaging should reflect
> the importance of local dialect and diversity. Messages could also be
> communicated through a local dialect channel, bringing the IGF
> information to the level easily understood by the identified
> stakeholders’ groups across the continent, depending upon the event,
> and the availability of resources to undertake the needed
> translations.
>
>
>
> 4.     WG could propose a strategic messaging format, which could
> easily enhance use of email messages from MAG Chair, IGF Secretariat,
> with Facebook and Twitter linkages, other social media tools and
> platforms.
>
>
>
> 5.     Content Apps for mobile IGF communication and outreaches was
> suggested as a means the WG could suggest would enhance wider
> outreach to communities of interest.
>
>
>
> 6.     Outcome of IGF Retreat document, most specifically areas of
> concern relating to the application of identified principles, such as
> /relevance, accessibility and sustainability/ of communication and
> outreach strategy provided support to the need for enhancement of a
> communication and outreach strategy.
>
>
>
> 7.     The IGF Secretariat could  maintain a repository of key
> messages, make such available for outreach, identification of new
> stakeholders, with improved communication of key messages through IGF
> websites. Omar volunteered to work on the social media/website issues
> with Marilyn.
>
>
>
> There was a proposal to have WG meeting during the IGF 2016 launch
> time and to set up new stakeholders’ event booth. Marilyn suggested
> perhaps a FAQ, or use of newcomers ribbons/MAG ribbons as are used
> very successfully at ICANN’s meeting. Staffing for a possible booth
> was not fully explored and other ideas were then later raised by
> other WG members, such as  use of past MAG members.  A sub group will
> explore the feasibility and challenges, as well as other ideas from
> WG members.
>
>
>
> 8.     All WG members were invited to submit all upcoming relevant
> events relating to IGF, with emails of the main contacts, website and
> draft key messages for WG consideration and for community outreaches.
>
>
>
>
> 9.     IGF 2016 is on /count down to the main date. /Work of the WG
> should commence earnestly, all co-facilitators of various work
> streams should become active and share their work plan with the WG
> before the next meeting.
>
>
>
>
>
> ***************
>
>
>
> Those who attended the Meeting:
>
>
>
> i.         Brain C. Gutterman
>
> ii.         Segun H. Olugbile
>
> iii.         Marlyn Cade
>
> iv.         Wisdom
>
> v.         Omar Mansoor Ansari
>
> vi.         Elizabeth T. Raynuad
>
>
>
> Apologies:
>
>
>
> i.         Marina Sokolova
>
> ii.         Zeina Bouharb
>
> iii.         Anja Gengo
>
> iv.         Izumi Okutani
>
>
> Best Regards
>
>
> Segun Olugbile
>
>
> *____________________________________________________________*
> President, Global Network for Cybersolution - GNC  (www.gncafrica.org
> <http://www.gncafrica.org/>) Member, National Cybercrime Advisory
> Council, Presidency (www.cert.gov.ng <http://www.cert.gov.ng/>)
> Member, Nigeria IGF Multi Stakeholders Advisory Group
> (www.nigf.org.ng <http://www.nigf.org.ng/>) Technical Advisor to
> ECOWAS on West Africa IGF (www.waigf.org <http://www.waigf.org/>)
> Member, African Multi-Stakeholders Advisory Group  (www.afigf.org
> <http://www.afigf.org/>) Member, Global IGF Multi-stakeholders
> Advisory Group to UN Sec. Gen. (www.intgovforum.org
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/>) Fellow, European School of Internet
> Governance (www.eurossig.eu <http://www.eurossig.eu/>) Member,
> African Information & Communication Technhology Alliance
> (www.aficta.org <http://www.aficta.org/>) Managing Partner,
> Continental Project Affairs Associates (www.cpaa.com.ng
> <http://www.cpaa.com.ng/>)
>
>
> */---------------------------------------------------------------/*
>
> *GNC | 5th floor (Olujinmi Chamber floor) NICON Insurance Plaza,
> Central Business District, Abuja, FCT - Nigeria*
>
> *CPAA/ | 72(b) Kwame Nkruma Cresent, Asokoro District Abuja-FCT |/**/
> Tel: 234 803 701 7537, 818 180 6044   /*
>
> */Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers and are famous
> preservers of youthful looks - Charles Dickens/*
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Marilyn Cade
> <marilynscade at hotmail.com <mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I wonder if we can perhaps consider the idea of the shared Newcomers
> booth as one of the outputs of this WG?
>
> Developing/Thinking about a FAQ that is distributed. Maybe MAG
> members should be wearing a similar ribbon so that Newcomers
> recognize who they can ask for a casual conversation when hey
> encounter a MAG-ite in the hall?
>
> Having a recommendation about perhaps Newcomers ribbons to be
> attached to the badges of newcomers. Having a schedule for the shared
> booth: inviting former MAG members and present MAG members. BUT,
> sticking to a very tightly confirmed role, so we are not competing
> with the IGF Secretariat's role, but are helping!
>
> And having a shared and agreed strategy for online/social media
> outreach.
>
> And also to recall that we are advisory, so we are not actually in
> charge of  what the Secretariat does, but we are trying to bring in
> some vision and views and reflect what might be needed to be highly
> sensitive to newcomers, for instance?
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
From: omar.m.ansari at gmail.com <mailto:omar.m.ansari at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:47:17 +0430 Subject: Re: NEED FOR A MEETING
> OF WGCO & UPDATES To: solugbile at gmail.com
> <mailto:solugbile at gmail.com> CC: wgco at intgovforum.org
> <mailto:wgco at intgovforum.org>; AGENGO at unog.ch
> <mailto:AGENGO at unog.ch>; lynn at internet-matters.org
> <mailto:lynn at internet-matters.org>; cmasango at unog.ch
> <mailto:cmasango at unog.ch>; virginiap at diplomacy.edu
> <mailto:virginiap at diplomacy.edu>; elizabeth.thomas-raynaud at iccwbo.org
> <mailto:elizabeth.thomas-raynaud at iccwbo.org>; miestrada at gmail.com
> <mailto:miestrada at gmail.com>; raquino at gmail.com
> <mailto:raquino at gmail.com>; lea at gp-digital.org
> <mailto:lea at gp-digital.org>; wisdom.dk at gmail.com
> <mailto:wisdom.dk at gmail.com>; wisdomdk at gmail.com
> <mailto:wisdomdk at gmail.com>; zbouharb at yahoo.com
> <mailto:zbouharb at yahoo.com>; sokolova at data.minsk.by
> <mailto:sokolova at data.minsk.by>; slaksmi at hivos.org
> <mailto:slaksmi at hivos.org>; rasha at aucegypt.edu
> <mailto:rasha at aucegypt.edu>; slobodan.markovic at rnids.rs
> <mailto:slobodan.markovic at rnids.rs>; mnelson at pobox.com
> <mailto:mnelson at pobox.com>; marilynscade at hotmail.com
> <mailto:marilynscade at hotmail.com>; dlazanski at gsma.com
> <mailto:dlazanski at gsma.com>; izumi at nic.ad.jp
> <mailto:izumi at nic.ad.jp>
>
>
> Thank you, Segun,
>
> As discussed I would be interested in speaking with Miguel, on the
> online/ social media outreach, with Zeina, on the website, and
> Marilyn, on the events/ booth, to see how I can help them in their
> work.
>
> Let me know, friends, when is good to speak. My skype is:
> omar.ansari.
>
> Regards, Omar
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Olusegun H. Olugbile
> <solugbile at gmail.com <mailto:solugbile at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Dear Everyone,
>
> We've just concluded the Webex meeting of the WGCO.
>
> Thanks to all members who attended the meeting, the Secretariat team
> led by Brian, and DESA for providing us with the tech enablement
> through the use of their Webex platfform.
>
> The outcome of the meeting will be posted soon to the list and you
> can still provide your contributions before the next MAG meeting
> tomorrow.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Segun Olugbile.
>
>
> *____________________________________________________________*
> President, Global Network for Cybersolution - GNC  (www.gncafrica.org
> <http://www.gncafrica.org/>) Member, National Cybercrime Advisory
> Council, Presidency (www.cert.gov.ng <http://www.cert.gov.ng/>)
> Member, Nigeria IGF Multi Stakeholders Advisory Group
> (www.nigf.org.ng <http://www.nigf.org.ng/>) Technical Advisor to
> ECOWAS on West Africa IGF (www.waigf.org <http://www.waigf.org/>)
> Member, African Multi-Stakeholders Advisory Group  (www.afigf.org
> <http://www.afigf.org/>) Member, Global IGF Multi-stakeholders
> Advisory Group to UN Sec. Gen. (www.intgovforum.org
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/>) Fellow, European School of Internet
> Governance (www.eurossig.eu <http://www.eurossig.eu/>) Member,
> African Information & Communication Technhology Alliance
> (www.aficta.org <http://www.aficta.org/>) Managing Partner,
> Continental Project Affairs Associates (www.cpaa.com.ng
> <http://www.cpaa.com.ng/>)
>
>
> */---------------------------------------------------------------/*
>
> *GNC | 5th floor (Olujinmi Chamber floor) NICON Insurance Plaza,
> Central Business District, Abuja, FCT - Nigeria* *CPAA/ | 72(b) Kwame
> Nkruma Cresent, Asokoro District Abuja-FCT |/**/ Tel: 234 803 701
> 7537, 818 180 6044   /* */Cheerfulness and contentment are great
> beautifiers and are famous preservers of youthful looks - Charles
> Dickens/*
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Olusegun H. Olugbile
> <solugbile at gmail.com <mailto:solugbile at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I'll glad that we are continue the work of WGCO after the MAG virtual
> meeting. Unfortunately, the report of the WGCO meeting could not be
> considered due to time constraints during the meeting. The reporting
> has been rescheduled for the next MAG virtual meeting.
>
> Furthermore, In the post-IGF report analysis, greater emphasis are
> made on the improvement of communications for better outreach to the
> community and better dissemination of IGF documentation and
> information. In the report there was general agreement that increased
> outreach was an overall need, including additional community
> engagement and solicitation of community inputs, and better-quality
> outreach and documentation of the IGF could also lead to more high-
> level/political interest in its processes and the annual meeting.
>
> WGCO members should remember we made some clarifications on the goal
> of outreach to inter-governmental and policy makers. It was agreed
> such outreach should normally fall under a formal shared messaging
> with input from Secretariat and MAG.
>
> Fortunately we've been working on these concerns before the retreat.
> It is time we make effort towards achieving the provisions our shared
> ToR.
>
> In this regards, we need to move forward to deliberate on some key
> issues such as the following;
>
> * Kickstarting the work of the co-facilitators of workstreams *
> Consider an outreach evaluation approach submission made by Mariana
> for members' input * Clues from IGF retreat areas of concern on Comm
> & Outreach * Workstream assignments on Upcoming Events/IGF website
> Improvement/ developing Outreach messages for stakeholder communities
>
>
> I*want to request to Anja to set up a virtual meeting of the group
> before the next MAG online meeting. Also doodle poll should be set up
> to allow us agree on common date for the meeting. Please it is very
> important.*
>
> Meanwhile, I have attached Anja's Submission, WGCO report, WGCO
> Analysis of IGF Retreat, the shared ToR for our reminder and update.
>
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Segun Olugbile
>
>
>
>
> *____________________________________________________________*
> President, Global Network for Cybersolution - GNC  (www.gncafrica.org
> <http://www.gncafrica.org/>) Member, National Cybercrime Advisory
> Council, Presidency (www.cert.gov.ng <http://www.cert.gov.ng/>)
> Member, Nigeria IGF Multi Stakeholders Advisory Group
> (www.nigf.org.ng <http://www.nigf.org.ng/>) Technical Advisor to
> ECOWAS on West Africa IGF (www.waigf.org <http://www.waigf.org/>)
> Member, African Multi-Stakeholders Advisory Group  (www.afigf.org
> <http://www.afigf.org/>) Member, Global IGF Multi-stakeholders
> Advisory Group to UN Sec. Gen. (www.intgovforum.org
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/>) Fellow, European School of Internet
> Governance (www.eurossig.eu <http://www.eurossig.eu/>) Member,
> African Information & Communication Technhology Alliance
> (www.aficta.org <http://www.aficta.org/>) Managing Partner,
> Continental Project Affairs Associates (www.cpaa.com.ng
> <http://www.cpaa.com.ng/>)
>
>
> */---------------------------------------------------------------/*
>
> *GNC | 5th floor (Olujinmi Chamber floor) NICON Insurance Plaza,
> Central Business District, Abuja, FCT - Nigeria* *CPAA/ | 72(b) Kwame
> Nkruma Cresent, Asokoro District Abuja-FCT |/**/ Tel: 234 803 701
> 7537, 818 180 6044   /* */Cheerfulness and contentment are great
> beautifiers and are famous preservers of youthful looks - Charles
> Dickens/*
>
>
>
>



More information about the WGCO mailing list