[Wgco] THE OUTCOME OF THE MEETING OF WORKING GROUP ON COMMUNICATION & OUTREACH

Olusegun H. Olugbile solugbile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:44:40 EDT 2016

Dear Everyone,

I hope we've all returned to destinations safely.

It is important we respond and make comment on the outcome of the meeting
(forwarded as an attached document and reposted here below) and move
forward towards implementing what we have all agreed, including fixing of
the date for the WG virtual meeting.

 OUTCOME OF THE MEETING OF WORKING GROUP ON COMMUNICATION & OUTREACH

Venue: UN Headquarters, N.Y

An hour meeting of the working group on Communication and Outreach of
IGF2016 was held on the 14 July 15, 2016,  at the U.N. Conference Room 5,
UN Building New York. The meeting was coordinator by Segun Olugbile
assisted by Anja Gengo from the IGF Secretariat.

The meeting had online participants in attendance, with Special Thanks to
the Secretariat and Marilyn Cade for facilitating the arrangement for the
meeting. Special Thanks also to Michael Nelson, Ginger Paque, Elizabeth
Thomas- Raynaud (for cancelling her important meeting to be part of the
meeting), Marina Sokolova (for submitting useful input on evaluation),
Renata Aquino and all the members of the WG for their commitment to the
progress of the WG.

The following important issues were discussed to move the WG forward in
line with the expectation of the MAG:

*1.     **Draft Terms of Reference (ToR) *

·      We agreed that the work of the WG fall into two major categories
which include;

                                 i.         A clarification was made on the
overall goal of the group which will include developing and delivering
shared massages for IGF 2016. However, such messages must be defined within
the context of a formal and informal communication or outreach.

                                ii.         Working with the IGF
Secretariat and MAG to develop *forma*l shared massages on IGF,
communication targeted to UN related events and outreach to other
high-level events to support the MAG Chair. However, the Work of the WG
will not be limited to developing shared messages. All members of the group
are expected to make contributions from the perspective of their roles.

                              iii.         Developing i*nformal *shared
massages and *delivering* such messages to the relevant IG community and
for outreach purposes without necessarily having the input of IGF
Secretariat. It was agreed that the co-coordinators will share such
messages with the group for further input where necessary.

                               iv.         The focus of the messages should
include the following; Creating Awareness on the IGF values, Sensitization,
Mobilization for participation in IGF 2016, Seeking support for IGF (most
especially that will impact NRIs).

*                                v.         *A clarification was made on
official channel for conducting the formal communication and outreach. It
was suggested IGF Secretariat remains the official channel. However, it was
agreed a social network channel will be used for informal communication of
the group for coordination.

                               vi.         A submission was made that we
should include mechanism for managing outreach response from the IG
community.

                             vii.         It was agreed that we streamline
the work of the co-coordinator and allow all members to make contributions
to their various work.

·      In consideration of above, the proposed ToR was adopted.

*2.     **Selection of Co-Coordinators/facilitators on the Workstreams
among MAG member volunteers.*

·      Members agreed on the sharing of the workstreams in line with the
provision of the ToR.

*3.     **Mapping of targeted audience and goals*

·      Members agreed on the classification of the various stakeholders
group.

·      Clarifications was made on the goal of outreach to
inter-governmental and policy makers. It was agreed such outreach should
normally fall under a formal shared messaging with input from Secretariat
and MAG. The goal of messaging must be clearly focused on awareness,
sensitization, mobilization and support.

·      It was also noted that online participation improvement plan to be
developed by the group.

*4.     **IGF Website improvement/IGF Resource Center/IGF community
blogging.*

·      Members proposed for a Virtual IGF Resource Center

·      Suggestion was made that the Center should aggregate all information
relating Internet Governance from the Internet, with resource learning and
interactive materials communicate IG from IGF perspectives.

·      WG should limit their work to developing the Virtual IGF Resource
Strategy to aid in the ongoing development of new website for the IGF.

*5.     **Outreach evaluation approach *

A submission was posted by Mariana for member’s input. However, due to time
constrain it was postponed for discussion on the mailing list.

*6.     **Open call for volunteers and their input into the ToR *

·      Members agreed that ToR should not be subject to the open community,
but should be posted to guide participation of volunteers.

*7.     **Work Program Calendar*

·      Members agreed to work within the proposed calendar, albeit due to
circumstance, readjustment can be worked out as the work progresses.

8.     AOB:

·      Improvement of the WG online participation for future meeting

·      The work of the WG continues online with consideration to the
timeline.

End of Document

Best Regards,

CEO Continental Project Affairs Associates (CPAA) www.cpaa.com.ng
Member, IGF Multi-stakeholders Advisory Group to UN Sec. Gen. (
Member, African ICT Alliance (www.aficta.org)
Convener, Open Government Partnership Nigeria (www.ogpnigeria.org)