[Wgco] IGF WGCO: Next Meeting and Newcomers Track

Anja GENGO AGENGO at unog.ch
Fri Oct 21 11:48:18 EDT 2016

Dear All,
I hope this email finds you well!
I have been asked by Segun to help in scheduling the doodle poll for
planning the next meeting of this Group. With posting the poll details
below, I am also using this opportunity to brief you about the IGF2016
Newcomers Track, and kindly ask for your advise on specific questions,
details below as well.
Planning the next WGCO Meeting: Week of 24 October
Please find the link to doodle poll here, for planning the next virtual
meeting during next week. I believe agenda and other details will be sent
shortly by the Co-Coordinators.
Newcomers Track
As the MAG officially approved the implementation of the Newcomers Track
(proposal came from the IGF Secretariat and 2 MAG members, Bianca and
Luara) for this year's IGF, your  assistance in advising how to conduct
the most effective outreach would be much appreciated. Let me please
remind on the core substance of the program and on our proposal for the
outreach plan, for your review.

The main goal of the Newcomers Track is to make it easier for the IGF
participants, who are Newcomers, to understand the entire IGF process.
This will mean explaining to the Newcomers, by the IGF experienced
colleagues, the following topics: what is the IGF; how it functions; what
is the MAG and who are MAG members; what is the IGF Secretariat; what is
the community intersessional work including the notions on DCs and NRIs;
what are the Open Consultations and finally, what is the annual IGF
meeting, all in a context of a substantive work process happening
throughout the year, ever since the earliest IGF beginnings. A special
focus should be put on the ways of engagement with the IGF.

Therefore, during the Day 0, a 90-minutes long session will be organized
to reflect the above indicated questions. As the High Level event will be
hosted probably in the second half of the day, after lunch, strategically
speaking, it would be better to organize this session before lunch time.
Of course, we understand there is a risk of not having many Newcomers
on-site yet (as just being Newcomers, maybe the importance of the Day 0 is
not well known to everyone).

During the meeting days, during lunch breaks, called 'Knowledge Cafes'
will be organized. These will be informal, very relaxing, gatherings for
coffee or even pocket lunch with experienced colleagues from the IGF
community. 45-minutes long IGF-talks will be focused on various IGF
issues, starting from the procedural ones to the substantive ones. We are
in a process of identifying 4 topics, where members of the IGF community,
from different stakeholder groups and regions, could help. In any case, we
can have 2-4 colleagues that will spend some time with the Newcomers,
dinking coffer and answering questions and networking. These knowledge
coffees would involve colleagues that can speak other UN languages than
English, so that we can maybe do some groupings around languages and make
more than one group per day.

Outreach plan. Having said this, we believe good outreach is important, if
we want to make people aware of the Newcomers program, so that they can
book their schedule and come.

One of the ways is to reach out on every 2 weeks from now, to the
registered Newcomers, and inform them about this and ask if they will
attend Day 0. We will invite them to sign up to a Newcomers mailing list
(also have an option to opt-out), where we will be posting all relevant
IGF information.

The second way is to make a webinar, that will reflect the Newcomers
program and the agenda of it, making the Newcomers become interested in
attending the session, before the meeting starts.

We will also adjust the online IGF schedule, so that it has a separate
field where colleagues could identify themselves as Newcomers, indicating
their interests, and the community could support them by reaching out to
them. This will mean that we should make good outreach plan toward the
wider IGF community, asking for a collaboration on this.

We would appreciate a lot if you could provide us with your feedback on
this!

Best regards,

Anja