[Wgco] [Outreach_com_2015] IG Weekly Brief : United Nations & GIFCT v/ terrorism content online; Africa Union-China cyber cooperation; More youth online; Wannacry stopper arrested; Russia bans VPNs; China leads broadband access; EU's new cybersecurity centre...

Olusegun H. Olugbile solugbile at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 15:37:47 EDT 2017

Dear Lo,

Nice one! At a time my country Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo, on Friday
told the military elite to be on the cutting edge of technology to defeat
cyber hackers and terrorists and create a better future for the citizenry.
He gave the charge in his address at the Silver Jubilee and graduation of
133 military and para-military participants of the Course 25 of the
National Defence College, Abuja. The acting president, whose message was
titled: “The Battle has Changed,” noted that the nation was today facing
new challenges and character in warfare, terror and all manners of
insurgency. According to him, terror groups and cyber criminals had used
modern technologies to spread useless ideologies and defraud the people and
the country cannot afford not to use the same strategies to respond to
insurgency. “I challenge the elite of our armed forces that if militants,
terrorist groups and internet hackers are constantly re-inventing
themselves taking advantage of emerging technologies, you have no reason
whatsoever not to be at the cutting edge of technological warfare.
“You must consistently redefine your role in national security
architecture,” he said.

Your update is being syndicated with my article on 'OPEN LETTER TO MR
ACTING PRESIDENT'' in response to the Acting President Message. I used the
opportunity of the Letter to communicate the IGF plan on organizing
 Cybersecurity main session and IGF 2017 values to his message. It's being
published in the national newspaper.

I'll send the newspapers link to you soon.

Well done Lo.