[IGFmaglist] Cyber Main Session Updated Template ver 5

Subi Chaturvedi subichaturvedi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:49:15 EDT 2015

Dear Segun,

Many thanks for your mail.

Responding inline in blue.

On 12 October 2015 at 22:52, Segun Olugbile <solugbile at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Subi,
>
> Thanks for your email. I've always been keen on contributing, I thought
> final list of the selected speakers would be shared and members would have
> had the opportunities of knowing those confirmed speakers.

I thank you again for your contribution and your time. Do please
understand, like you, I am just one of the three co-facilitators. Our
primary role is to move the work along for the main session. And we are
frankly quite surprised to receive this mail from you. Multiple calls for
inputs have been made, and you are as aware of timelines as anyone else.

We have received your inputs on the specific point of Openness in
Cybersecurity governance and the names of 3 speakers (all from Nigeria).

All contributions have been acknowledged and duly incorporated.

The first input has been included as policy question 9 and the out of the 3
speakers from your country one was included from academia in the list
circulated for discussion to strive for stakeholder balance.
The list has always been publicly available for comment, within a
reasonable time of course.

> I am not sure I was invited for comment before this final list. When and
> How?

Please go back to the multiple calls for inputs. Like all other MAG members
you too were invited for comment, several times.

And on the call which was set up after you confirmed your availability.
Where we went name by name of all the proposed speakers. The call lasted
over an hour. I understand you were attending to some urgent business and
couldn't make it. The session always stands to benefit from your
expertise.  Segun a detailed report was then also presented to the MAG over
the call. And inputs and comments sought yet again. We also did receive a
few and benefitted from the engagement.

> I was aware of the content and goals of the last meeting of  which I've
> already made my input. I am just a bit curious when this list of speakers
> was compiled.

The role of a co-facilitator goes beyond what one would normally expect
from another member of the working group. We have always benefitted from
your inputs.  Like, I explained this was done over a call for the main
session, which was set up in consultation with you but you couldn't attend
the call for the final compilation.

Here's how we got to the compilation of the list.

About 5 detailed drafts have been sent which have been constantly updated.

With several emails to the community, through individual outreach as well
as community outreach for a list of speakers.

I guarantee you that not one speaker appears on the list without a
recommendation from an expert in the community.

What I received from you were names of 3 speakers all from Nigeria. We need
to strive for stakeholder, gender and regional balance hence all cannot be
included. As an experienced IGF participant and leading voice in IG you
already know that.

> Moving forward, those that I've recommended need to know if they'll be
> invited. Though I saw one of the names on the last document sent across for
> the last meeting.

*GOING FORWARD:-*
The speakers from govt. have already been invited, since they plan their
schedules well in advance for all the other I cannot take the decision
alone.

Hence a call between the co-facilitators was required. Dominique has
already indicated her availability for Wednesday. Would be good if you can
join in too. It is a planning Skype call.

Here's the expected task list of what the Main session facilitators need to
deliver -

1. Concept Note
2. Policy Question
3. Background paper on the State of Play
4. Speaker suggestions from community experts (we normally do not recommend
speakers from our own country, as a principle)
5. Finalisation of names
6. Decision of facilitators
7. Matching questions per speaker
8. Keeping the MAG informed of the progress
9. Regularly updating the templates.
10. Structuring the session
11. Format selection
12. Pre-publicity to generate buzz and create an interest in the session
13. Reconfirming availability of all speakers
14. Arranging a remote moderator or acting as one when the person
isn't available or has competing time commitments
15. Identifying substantive rapporteurs
16. Post main session report to be filed the same evening for the Chair's
summary

> Best Regards.
>
> Segun Olugbile

Trust you will find this helpful in identifying areas  where you may
contribute as a co-facilitator which goes beyond the work of a member.

We still have a lot of work to do. And I look forward to working with you,
Dominique and others to get the best for this session.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Subi