[IGFmaglist] Weighting of criteria, please send your input by March 25th, 12.00 UTC

Nebojsa Regoje nregac at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 10:31:02 EDT 2019

Dear all!
I do not know what algebra Sylvia used, but in the case that all marks in all the criteria are the same, the average mark should (must) be that same mark. If all marks are 5, the average is 5, if all marks are 4, the average is 4...REGARDLESS OF THE WEIGHT OF THE CRITERIA!The difference happens when one or more of the marks are different. In that case, the higher mark is in the higher weight, the average is higher. And of course that the decimals matter, and that's why I am against different weights.And that's why I asked Secretariat if they could run a test on the last year results, applying fictional 10%, 20%, 30%, 40% weight for either 50 top scorers or 50 randomly selected WS to compare what are the changes in their rankings.
I attached an excel file with some examples of the groups of the same marks in different criteria. Notice the difference in average mark inside the same grouping even though the marks are "same", but distributed differently. Please feel free to play with the weight, just enter the new numbers taking care that the total /sum/ of all the criteria MUST BE 100, and see how the average changes.
I repeat what I previously mentioned in the chat during the meeting, I am not in favor of the different weight of the criteria.

The first problem is that it would be very difficult to agree among the MAG what is "less" valuable, and what is "more" valuable. In extreme case, for me, it is one criterion, and I should like to have 50% weight, and for somebody else, it is another criterion and (s)he would like to have 60% for that criterion.

However, I think that the idea is worth exploring and it would not be late to make the final decision at the next meeting.

Nebojša Regoje