[IGFmaglist] IGF 2020 Call For Validation of Thematic Tracks and Action Items

Charlton, Paul (IC) paul.charlton at canada.ca
Tue Jan 21 15:32:34 EST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I support Sylvia’s points, and those made separately by Susan.

My understanding at last week’s meeting was that we would keep to just three themes - retaining the three from last year (with changes to the theme titles). New or emerging issues/themes would be captured or reflected in the context of three themes, which should be possible due to the very broad nature of those themes.

As Sylvia and Susan point out, a fourth theme on new or emerging issues will inevitably become a catch all for a variety of issues that may or may not have a coherent connection to each other. This is in addition to the problem of diluting our focus by having a fourth theme.

I thought what cane out of last week’s meeting was a good compromise - restricting ourselves to three theme but with the flexibility to emerging priorities (esp. climate/environment within that framework.

Regards,

Paul C.