[IGFmaglist] BPF Cybersecurity 2021 proposal

Ben Wallis (CELA) bewallis at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 17 22:10:41 EST 2021

Dear IGF MAG 2021

As the MAG co-facilitator for BPF Cybersecurity in 2018-20, I am writing to share the proposal for a BPF on Cybersecurity in 2021, and to announce that new MAG member, Iombonana Andriamampionona, will take on this MAG co-facilitator role should the BPF be approved for this year. Iombonana will also be ready to present the BPF proposal during MAG discussions in the coming weeks.

In summary, the 2021 proposal looks to build upon, and leverage the strengths of, last year's work in ways that will support the ongoing development of cybersecurity norms in the UN and elsewhere.

While the BPF would continue to identify relevant cybersecurity norms agreements, but developing the work this year by looking more deeply into both the drivers behind, and disablers of, cyber norms. Secondly, by reviewing major historical cybersecurity incidents, we hope to understand how they can help drive further norms discussions. For example, we would evaluate whether existing norms would have been successful at mitigating previous adverse events, and also look at how security events might have supported implementation and / or expansion of norms.

A new dimension to this year's work would be to bring in the voice of victims of cybersecurity incidents and those who of responders to incidents. And we also hope to broaden our thinking about how to strengthen norms in cybersecurity by looking into examples of dealing with incidents in other areas, such as environmental protection.

Kind regards
Ben

Ben Wallis
Director, Technology Policy
Spectrum, Connectivity, Internet Governance, and Domain Operations (SCIDOPs)
Microsoft
bewallis at microsoft.com<mailto:bewallis at microsoft.com>
www.linkedin.com/in/benjwallis<http://www.linkedin.com/in/benjwallis>
T:  [+1] 425-706-9254