[DC] Draft submission to IGF MAG

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Fri Feb 12 07:56:35 EST 2016

Dear all

Thank you Jeremy for the drafting this second submission to the MAG
stocktaking from the DC intersessional.

There are some important points being made here that reiterate but also
supplement those already made by the November DC Stocktaking Report.

In order not to reinvent the wheel and to provide space in this second
statement to go into more detail about the way future DC main sessions
can be organized, or any output tool incorporated, I would like to make
the following suggestions

1) The current DC Stocktaking Document signed by all DCs pending a
response from one remaining, is sent to the MAG. It is addressed to the
MAG and represents all DCs to date. It was tabled at our intersessional
meetings so can be sent forward. I am attaching the PDF again for good
measure.

2) Alongside the November DC statement, that this second draft statement
be readied as one being written on behalf of the DC Main Session
Facilitators (Jeremy and Avri) with eventual endorsement from any DC or
individual in the short time remaining.

Why? This second statement has a clear provenance, and for that reason
can more clearly address the specifics of
a) Main session organization between one or two days
b) How any rating tool is designed and executed for future DC Main sessions
c) Underscore points already made about suitable DC representation and
contributions to IGF meetings in the future, with Mexico as the next one
on the agenda.

Two statements are better then one because they represent two distinct
constituencies engaged in the preparation and outcomes of the first DC
Main Session last year.

Now, if I can turn to my own observations on this second statement.

i) The working text is in Google docs so this precludes those of us who
prefer not to register with Google for this sort of work. I cannot speak
for all, but I for one do not use Google docs anymore.

ii) There is mention of one brand of survey/rating tool. This assumes
that this brand is suitable for all future uses. I would beg to differ
in that it is one related to a particular sort of format. As there are
serious issues with how this particular brand was designed and deployed
in Brazil I would suggest that a more generic term is used so that
future applications of any sort of numerical rating tool, if deemed
useful, can be up to the usual methodological standard of survey-based,
or statistical analysis.

And one more, apologies for the long mail but have to catch up;

iii) DCs all have different timescales for consultation and endorsement
procedures so if this second statement goes forward, it needs to be
clearly signed off to that effect i.e. who is signing on behalf of whom.

best
MF

--
Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
https://twitter.com/GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-global-media-transnational-communications/
Chair of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights