The proposal to create a UN IGF Data and Artificial Intelligence Governance Coalition (DAIG) emerged during the Data Governance School LatAm, in April 2023, hosted by the Center for Technology and Society at Fundação Getulio Vargas. The goal of the coalition is to facilitate a multistakeholder and evidence-based debate around the governance of personal data and AI exploring the interactions of data policies with AI policies, with a particular focus on the Global South.
The Data Governance School LatAm acted as an inception meeting of the DAIG Coalition where stakeholders agreed on the inexistence of an appropriate venue to discuss such concerns, with a particular focus on the analysis of Global South approaches and perspectives. The establishment of the DAIG Coalition, therefore, aims at responding to the pressing need to establish such initiative.
UN IGF Data and Artificial Intelligence Governance Coalition (DAIG) aims at fostering discussion of existing approaches to data and AI governance, promoting analysis of good and bad practices to identify what solutions should be replicated and which ones should be avoided by stakeholders to achieve a sustainable an effective data and AI governance.
To do so the DAIG Coalition aims at promoting collective studies and multistakeholder interactions to collect and discuss evidence, critically analyse existing regulatory and institutional arrangements, and propose policy updates.
Importantly, the DAIG will act as a hub to connect global UN IGF discussions with regional and local initiatives, with a particular focus on Global South debates.
To facilitate meaningful interactions between local, regional, and global issues, systems, and stakeholders, the DAIG Coalition will adopt the following governance structure.
- Global Chair: Ana Brian Nougrères, UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Privacy
- Global Chair: Luca Belli, Professor, FGV Law School
- Regional Coordinator for Africa: Sizwe Snail, Professor, Nelson Mandela University
- Regional Coordinator for Asia: Smriti Parsheera, Researcher, Indian Institute of Technology/CyberBRICS Project
- Regional Coordinator for South America: Pablo Palazzi, Professor, Universidad de San Andrés
- Regional Coordinator for North America: Jonathan Mendoza, Secretary for Data Protection, National Institute of Transparency, Access to Information and Protection of Personal Data (INAI)
- Regional Coordinator for Europe: TBC
Mailing list address: [email protected]
Subscribe to the mailing list: https://lists.ghserv.net/mailman/listinfo/igf-daig
- Ana Brian, UN Special Rapporteur for Privacy
- Luca Belli, Center for Technology & Society at Fundação Getulio Vargas Law School
- Ana Brian Nougrères (UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Privacy, and Universidad de Montevideo), Uruguay
- Armando Manzueta (Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development), Dominican Republic
- Carina de Castro Quirino (Undersecretary for Regulation and Business Environment of the Rio de Janeiro Municipality), Brazil
- Gonzalo Sosa (E-Government and Information and Knowledge Society Agency - AGESIG), Uruguay
- Fátima Arzamendia (National Telecommunications Commission), Paraguay
- Jonathan Mendoza (National Institute of Transparency, Access to Information and Protection of Personal Data - INAI), Mexico
- Maria Julia Giorgelli (Office of the Ombudsman of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires), Argentina
- Miriam Wimmer (Brazilian National Data Protection Authority), Brazil
- Camila Leite Contri (Brazilian Institute for Consumer Defense - Idec), Brazil
- Isadora Perez Peixoto (Brazilian Internet Steering Committee - CGI.br), Brazil
- Alice Rangel Teixeira (ForHumanity), Brazil
- Samanta Oliveira (Mercado Livre), Brazil
- Paula Vargas (Meta), Latam
- Arianne Jimenez (META), APAC
- Diogo Manganelli (Lenovo), Brazil
- Filipe Ribeiro Duarte (Martinelli Attorneys), Brazil
- Philipe Monteiro Cardoso (Cardoso Associated Attorneys), Brazil
- Tatiana Coutinho (Lima Feigelson Attorneys), Brazil
- Luca Belli (Center for Technology and Society at FGV), Brazil
- Bárbara Muracciole (Universidad de la República), Uruguay
- Pablo Palazzi (Universidad de San Andrés), Argentina
- Sizwe Snail (Nelson Mandela University), South Africa
- Wei Wang (University of Hong Kong), China
- Smriti Parsheera (Indian Institute of Technology/CyberBRICS Project), India
- Bianca Kremer (IDP/CTS-FGV), Brazil
- Clara Leitão (CTS-FGV), Brazil
- Nicolo Zingales (CTS-FGV), Brazil
- Ekaterina Martynova (Higher School of Economics/CyberBRICS Project), Russia
- Shilpa Singh Jaswant (University of Melbourne/OP Jindal Global Law University/CyberBRICS Project), India
- Sinuhe Nascimento, Brazil
Luca Belli – luca.belli[at]fgv.br