The PNMA brough together experts from all stakeholder groups and regions to exchange experiences and ideas on why achieving meaningful and universal Internet access remains so challenging, in spite of years of efforts by policy makers and other actors from all stakeholder groups. During IGF 2021, the PNMA multistakeholder working group of experts, together with the community, explored the following policy questions:
- How to improve affordability, meaningful connectivity, and the social elements that support meaningful access?
- How to improve the use and quality of connectivity?
- What is connectivity used for?
- What impact does connectivity have?
The session brough together experts from various disciplines and regions to exchange views on the following aspects:
The PNMA will be a gathering point for all those interested to contribute to the matter with their expertise and experience. With advice from dedicated co-facilitators of the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG), it will also work closely with the existing networks of the IGF, such as the Dynamic Coalitions, Best Practice Forums, National Regional, Sub-Regional and Youth IGF initiatives, as well as all other stakeholders, including the session organisers and IGF annual meeting participants. Stakeholders that are not traditionally involved in the IGF process and have an interest in this topic are particularly encouraged to actively participate. The PNMA will have close linkages with the IGF 2021 high-level and parliamentary tracks.
The PNMA's work would be facilitated by a dedicated multistakeholder working group of experts. Its membership would include leading intergovernmental and international organisations, UN member states, parliaments, research academic institutions, leading private sector companies and representatives of technical communities, national, regional and youth IGFs (NRIs) and other stakeholders whose work is relevant for the PNMA.
- PNMA MWG Kick off Call #1, 18th June 2021 (slide deck)
- PNMA MWG Call #2, 15th July 2021 (slide deck)
- PNMA MWG Call #3, 19 August 2021 (slide deck)
- PNMA MWG Call #4, 16 September 2021 (slide deck) (minutes)
- PNMA MWG Call #5, 14 October 2021 (slide deck) (minutes)
- PNMA MWG Call #6, 18 November 2021 (slide deck) (minutes)
The process for gathering inputs would be bottom-up, open and continuous throughout the IGF 2021 preparatory process. Inputs would be gathered through the resources of the working group in addition to a community’s input. All working group meetings would be open to the community for a broader discussion. The community will be able to communicate inputs through different outreach forms, ranging from surveys, monthly webinars and online meetings, bilateral meetings etc.